Timothy P. Martin, a partner at Martin & Kent, L.L.C., has been practicing law ever since he graduated from the John Marshall Law School with his Juris Doctorate. While in law school, he served as the associate editor of the John Marshall Law Review, and his work even led to a nationally published article. Since then, he has devoted his professional career to the field of criminal law. He was initially hired as a prosecutor by Attorney General and former DuPage State’s Attorney Jim Ryan.
In this capacity, he prosecuted more than 2,500 misdemeanor cases and successfully conducted more than 900 bench and jury trials. He also prosecuted more than 500 felony cases that ranged from aggravated battery to murder. Mr. Martin regularly served on the Felony Review/Screening Team for police officers and was even responsible for training newly appointed State Attorneys. He also authored the Prosecutors DUI manual, earning him a great deal of recognition within the legal community.
After retiring as a prosecutor, Mr. Martin went into private practice on the other side of the courtroom, taking up a career as a criminal defense lawyer. In this capacity, he has successfully defended more than 10,000 clients against criminal charges – ranging from driving under the influence (DUI) to murder. In fact, he has never lost a murder case as either a prosecutor or a defense attorney. People from all walks of life have turned to him for help, including politicians, police officers and courtroom personnel.
If you are in need of a skilled criminal defense attorney in DuPage County or any surrounding area, you too can turn to Timothy P. Martin for the dedicated legal advocacy that you deserve. With nearly two decades of experience in the field of criminal law, he understands what it takes to win a difficult case. He has been elected as the President of the DuPage County Criminal Defense Bar Association and even served as a Director of the entire Bar Association of DuPage County. Call now to learn more!
In the Media
Tim Martin has had wide media recognition of the past several years including:
- The Chicago Tribune
- The Chicago Sun Times
- The Daily Herald
- ABC News channel 7 Chicago
- NBC News channel 5 Chicago
- CBS News channel 2 Chicago
- Fox News channel 3 Chicago
- WGN News channel 9 Chicago
- WBBM Radio
- WEBIO Radio
- Mike North Sports Radio Show
Mr. Martin is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, DuPage County Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association, Kane County Bar Association, and the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys Association. He has served on the campaign committee staff in both campaigns for Attorney General Jim Ryan in 1994 and 1998. Mr. Martin has also served in local and statewide politics.
He was recently published in the DuPage County Bar Association Journal, authoring an article that advocating the halt of Excited Utterance Statements of trial evidence following the U.S. Supreme Court case of Crawford v. Washington. More recently, the Governor has appointed him to the position of Commissioner on the Illinois Racing Board where he regularly adjudicates appeals brought to the board by various litigants.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Criminal Law
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate
- Law Review: John Marshall Law Review, Associate Editor
- John Marshall Law Review: Brock v. State
- Author, advocating the halt of Excited Utterance Statements of trial evidence following the U.S. Supreme Court case of Crawford v. Washington, DuPage County Bar Association
- Author, Prosecutors DUI manual
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Illinois State Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Kane County Bar Association
- DuPage County Criminal Law Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- 7th Circuit Court of the Federal Bar
- Illinois Racing Board, Commissioner
- DuPage County Criminal Defense Bar Association, Current President
- DuPage County Bar Association, Current Director
- State of Illinois Bar Association Judicial Evaluation, Selection Committee
- Illinois Bar Association, Criminal Law Section
- DuPage County , Felony Prosecutor
- DuPage County, Traffic Prosecutor
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys Association, Member
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Attorney General and former DuPage State’s Attorney Jim Ryan, Prosecutor